AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snake Oil Fertilizer and higher plant sugar levels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Soil Builder
Posted 2/17/2008 12:45 (#311975 - in reply to #311755)
Subject: Re: Snake Oil Fertilizer and higher plant sugar levels

nebraska
But, my question is still this....what would you recommend for 200 bu corn? how much n should I apply if I wanted to raise 200 bu corn in other words?  I guess what I am trying to suggest to you is there are a lot better sources of n besides putting on a big blast of nh3 before the crop is even planted. Do we eat one meal, say , at birth to sustain us for the entire yr?  that is what I am saying. What happened to management practices that built the soil up? Building the O.M. back up to 4-6 % instead of the .5 to 1 %'s we have now? What depleted those levels is what I am saying? I here so many guys complain of compaction or when we get 1/2" of rain, and the field looks like a lake. We are our worst enemy when it comes to compaction problems.  I add a very good soil bacteria and humic acid with a lot of carbon to raise my O.M. to very good levels, then of course the higher the O.M. the more carbon in the soil, the ability to hold moisture, (carbon will hold four times its weight in moisture correct?) or fert. Every 1% O.M. will hold ruffly 35#'s of n. So why are we waisting the other 165#? Now then, whether you believe me or not I do not worry. I visited with UNL a few yrs back and off the record, the professor sure did agree with me. But he said he cant say that pubilicly ..."you understand Dave"  I said I sure do...it is a selling world and he gets paid to sell. Tell me I am wrong  Remember the atmosphere is 78% n and a plant feeds through the leaves 95%.  So  dont try and tell me that that is wrong too.  I learned that in the 4th grade.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)