AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For those of you that use landrollers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 2/9/2008 04:07 (#305153 - in reply to #304808)
Subject: Re: For those of you that use landrollers

Alberta, Canada
Hey Rosco.... well I've got two separate things needing to be done.

Have one hay field that is in desperate need of being plowed down, it's rougher than Hell due to all the moles etc, but it still yields great, and is a nice big square field about a half-mile off the highway, so I'd like to get another year out of it before the landlord decides to plow it down for a cash cropper.

I was debating the pasture float from Flaman, but no-one (other than Flaman) seems to know anything about them, even know what I'm talking about even. My thought was that it'd scrape too much for it to be a good idea for a hay field..... and that the roller would be far better, not?

As for rolling the barley.... we have some pastures that need to be worked as well, so my plan was to plow them down, seed them into an oat/barley mix with alfalfa/grass as an undercrop, harvest it in August as cereal silage, and let the cows back on it for pasture. I still wasn't sure if it'd be better to have it drilled in or floated on, and then roll it after seeding.

Never had to do any field work before so I can't say I've got any knowledge/experience on the matter. To me, that seems to make sense, and the neighbor's have been agreeing with me so....? I'm open to suggestions.

I really hadn't wanted to take the loader to the field with me, let alone the grapple, but I think I'll have to for the rocks.
-Josh
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)