AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leica mojoRTK
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 12/30/2007 12:23 (#271052 - in reply to #270495)
Subject: But still . . .

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

we have this one field and a $2000 lightbar with capability to set an A point and heading to 1/100th of a degree gets me to within a foot in 3/4ths of a mile.

field

You really don't take your suggestion that I start at the point labeled A+2, drive 90 feet and set the B; seriously, do you? I know I'd be hard pressed to get within 5 feet by the time I got 3/4ths of a mile south. I doubt that you or anyone else in your organization would be able to do any better if you pulled into this field with a 50 foot seeding tool and did it only by eyeball. Now also bear in mind that this ground gives you one chance and one chance only in the spring. Drive around with anything before the seed gets put in the ground and your yields in that track will suffer. The thought of dragging a 50 foot seeding tool to every A-B point that would be required to get this field outlined and suffer loss of yield everywhere I drug the 50 foot tool is simply ludicrous to me.

So then I sit down and do the calculations on what this "low cost" system will really end up costing and here's what I can come up with: $13,000 for the MOJO. $3500 for the EZ-Steer. $1500 / year for 5 years of virtual wrench = $7500. (yes, I understand that cheaper VW packages are available but some farmers prefer to work hours other than 8 to 5 and the only package that lets you do that is the high dollar one). Now we're at $24,000. We need to add the highest priced RINEX to get multiple A-Bs in a field. I'll guess that will add $5K and now we're to $29,000 plus or minus??? Could be off on the $5K figure as info on that system is sketchy -- just like info on the MOJO. (Still waiting on the user's manual for the MOJO that I was promised a couple months ago).

Bottom line: Someone from Leica pointed out that the MOJO isn't for everyone, in a post some time back. I've concluded that I'm one of the guys they were talking about.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)