AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to plant Winter Wheat (att. otis and luke)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OntariOtis
Posted 9/2/2007 07:56 (#196944 - in reply to #196497)
Subject: RE: How to plant Winter Wheat (att. otis and luke)

Ilderton, Ontario
Glad to hear the wheat project turned out positive! We were also happy with our wheat this year considering our extremely wet fall and late planting date. Our winters (soft red) went from 85-100. We also planted some springs to keep our wheat acres where we like to see them and it ran 50-65.

I think, as I mentioned to you last year, winter wheat in our northern climates responds very well to phosphorus. Banded with the seed is my choice, since you can get the same response with 1/4 the product. here it is 6-7 g/acre 10-34. If you can use MAP all the better (cheaper). Two compartment air seeders work well around here for this purpose.

Seeding rate- You need to look at seeds/acre. since seed can vary wildly. Here in our climates we sow around 1.4-1.8 million sd/ac. Usually this is in around 110-140 lbs/acre. Oh ya... plant early, our success with late planting this past year is very uncommon.

That's all you need to know for now......headline/folicur is for next springs lesson. But in our climate it is usually a must (warm and humid). This year didn't pay as we had an unusually dry growing season.

Take care,

P.S. did you ever replace the Jetta?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)