AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Liquid feed VS WDG / Ground hay TMR. ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 11/9/2011 23:14 (#2042694 - in reply to #2042263)
Subject: Re: Liquid feed VS WDG / Ground hay TMR. ??

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
My fancy dancy way if you have acess to a tuber (I rented one) is wrap the hay with 4 mil or so of plasic and also hang a roll of cheap irrigation drip hose from the wrapper so it gets unrolled and wrapped up the length of the tube. then hook the AA vapor line the drip irrigation hose and apply the proper amound of AA. It usually takes a couple days if the tank freezes up and pressure gets real low. You can run liquid but Ive never needed to.
But the normal method and one we still use is:
put it in a stack with a clay bottom, cover it with 6 mil plastic, seal plastic to ground with lime sand or dirt Hook metal pipe up to end of supply hose. slide metal pipe under plastic, Turn on vapor line or use and orfice/crack valve if feeding from liquid line.
Come back 15 minutes later and check for leaks using the the fancy dancy AA tester God built into our face, Go home, drink coke. watch tv, get on NAT, load gun, Go back, shoot methers trying to steal AA, shut off valve when tank is to the proper percentage. Go to next stack, or go home. Wait a month. Or two weeks if your in a rush. start taking bales out of stack. Let air out for a day or two (or 3 hours if in a rush) and feed.
It seems kinda complicated but we are the type of half-ass operation that could never put up silage without half of it rotting and the other half spoiling while feeding, but we seemed to be pretty good at the AA.
Im kind of excited about the hydrated lime though. If I could bale hay/stover/straw a little wet (probably night baling with the dew) and add hydrated lime and a little urea with a dry application box on the the baler and then just put it in a tuber the next day. That seems very easy to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)