AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Liquid feed VS WDG / Ground hay TMR. ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 11/8/2011 08:51 (#2039168)
Subject: Liquid feed VS WDG / Ground hay TMR. ??

Baldwin City, KS
I am looking at what program I want to go with on making crappy hay or corn stalks more palatable. Originally I was going to feed around 10# of WDG with the ground hay/stalks and just use a good mineral program to balance things out. With the amount of cows that I am feeding, I am wondering if I it will be easier for me to just set a tank and use enough of a NPN containing liquid feed to make things palatable (I'm thinking 2 gal PHPD) and make the rest of the protein up with corn gluten or DDG.
If I go the liquid route, will there be a vast difference between the quality of the two rations, considering the protein sources? I think the costs will be pretty close, I'm just looking at keeping it simple and I don't know if I will be going through the distillers fast enough to make it work. Also, I'm thinking this way I can keep a base ration with the liquid and ground hay, then use the gluten feed to make adjustments between need of fall and spring cows. If it gets muddy, I may be mixing at home then re loading it on a Kelly ryan that can be drug through the mud better if need be.
I'm just looking to make it work this year. Next year I hope to have 27 acres of alfalfa established and have a pile of corn silage that isn't toasted.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)