AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Last Calf of the year born over the Easter weekend - EPD's vs Looks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/27/2011 00:21 (#1747366 - in reply to #1747299)
Subject: RE: - EPD's Jim - Calving Ease EPD

Driftless SW Wisconsin

T21 had a lot of good calves unassisted, all commercial. I sold him last August. I don't know what the rules are about registering calves and affecting his accuracy. Doesnt seem fair a bull can have a couple dozen successful but non registered commercial calves (me and my neighbor used him) but only bred only one registered heifer who had a problem.....  I dont think this was the bull's problem with his 3.5 CED and lots of successful, if non registered, calves.

People that are sticklers on accuracy numbers must be AI?  I try to buy virgin bulls and neither he nor I are going to live long enough to get his accuracy numbers up with my two registered heifers!   I think buying registered bulls and females from reputable breeders can take the place of some statistical accuracy numbers only acheivable by AI bulls with lots of registered and reported calves.

I think there are some rules about numbers and whole herd reporting to produce anything but pedigree EPDs but I have no idea what they are.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)