AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey Ben,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 4/22/2011 23:01 (#1739735 - in reply to #1739541)
Subject: RE: Hey Ben,

North Mo.
roughly have 537 ac. 175 more of bottom sometimes usable, 10 ac. of hay and as much crop residue I can get 50 acres if weather permits, along with a double crop behind wheat. I used to fall fertilize but haven't in say 3 years. Now the numbers up to 250 plus including new heifers coming on and cows and I still have 09 fall calves along with sp 2010, fall 2010 and new calves coming on. Plus bulls. The 09's and sp 10 are going shortly they help with the spring flush. I am no ways where I what to be on grass utilization, that I am hoping is where the batt latches come in. I look at this as about like no till corn in the mid 70's more questions than answers, for sure a different paradigm. The pastures I hope will come more productive as we leave more residue on the ground to feed the microbes. I think that is where I have fell down just grazing to much of the forage, till I get the ship going in the right direction. Then I might be able to add more numbers. I try for maybe a bale per cow in the winter but yearlings, bull and calves feed off that bale also. I didn't do that this past year, more like 2 bales. I realize this is a moving target mainly because I am real new at this and quite frankly have made many mistakes. Most notable mistake was thinking I needed more cows right at the get go and bought cows at the sale barn that had been raised in a different environment, the hard doing type and they fell flat on their face. It has been a steep learning curve but I think it is leveling off now. Long wided I know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)