AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any other Lutherans ( Missouri Synod's ) feel this way ? ? ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John SD
Posted 11/15/2010 11:01 (#1436847 - in reply to #1435889)
Subject: Re: Any other Lutherans ( Missouri Synod's ) feel this way ? ? ?

I am Catholic. I would be very uncomfortable taking communion anywhere but a Catholic church. In fact I would never even consider it. I admit the whole concept of "open communion" puzzles me.

As a Catholic, I don't know of any other denomination that believes in transsubtantiation. Which (in a nutshell) means that the bread and wine are changed into the Real Presence of the body and blood at the words spoken by the priest at the moment of consecration.

From a Catholic point of view, since Protestants do not have an ordained priesthood the means of transsubtantiation taking place presents a real theological problem for communion to be a valid sacrament. Yet I note that the words and liturgy used by the local ELCA minister on the weekly radio broadcast are virturally identical to those used in Catholic liturgy.

This has been a major difference between Catholics and Lutherans and other Protestants which has separated us for centuries. For me as a Catholic it would make no sense to partake of a communion with questionable validity.

Not trying to stir the pot or offend anyone here, just attempting an explanation as to why things are the way they are. If you are Catholic, you are invited to communion in my church. If you are not Catholic, you are still invited to join us in prayer and fellowship, but not in communion. That is what I would expect when I am a visitor in any other church.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)