AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

weaning some "nervous" cattle? :-)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 11/7/2010 10:44 (#1425519)
Subject: weaning some "nervous" cattle? :-)

South Central Kansas, Harper County
Son and I have around 100 hd cow/calf operation. Last year we culled out some old and open cows and replaced them with 40 cows/calves, originating from Wyoming area. Looked the cows over prior to purchasing(they were at an auction), disposition looked ok to me. Weaned the calves off last fall, easy to catch cows as they come to a cake feeder truck rather easily. I do remember when separating the calves last fall, some cows & calves were a little rank acting. But, we were taking them to the local sale at the time, so didnt give it a second thought. After all, they hadnt been in an enclosed area for over a year.

Fast forward to last week, when we proceeded to wean the cows off the cows. Same kind of reaction, but this time, we have wheat pasture, so we intend to kick the calves out on wheat pasture until spring. Only problem, is, they are EXTREMELY nervous, so to speak! :-) We had to brace up our pen in several spots to re-enforce the containment area, for fear they may decide to just bust through the fence. Cows are on the other side of fence in pasture, sort of like fence line weaning, but calves still run from one side of pen to the other, when a two legged person enters. I have been feeding them a bucket of feed on the grass, plus all the free choice praire hay they can eat. I have not put the feedbunks in yet, as I am afraid with their running around, they would jump in the bunks, create plenty of noise, then they may decide to bust out to freedom.

After we worked them, son wanted to take his share to the local sale immediately, but I talked him out of it. Told him lets give them a week or so, to see if they settle down. Just come back from feeding them this morning, and they havent settled down any. Three days since we worked them. Kind of frustrating, as the other cows/calves in our herd, are very gentle. We are weaning another bunch of about 28 hd, and you can almost scratch their heads by now, as you are feeding them. These other cows did not come with the Wyoming bunch, so maybe they are not used to the "open range"?

Any tips on how to get these "nervous" cattle to settle down a bit? I have my eye on a couple of the ringleaders(I think), and will for sure cull them out, if we keep the rest.

thanks,
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)