AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where is the livestock industry headed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bigbear
Posted 7/29/2010 22:23 (#1293408 - in reply to #1293292)
Subject: Re: Where is the livestock industry headed?

North America
I see it like you. The small guy unless he can value add is not going to make it. In Southern Ontario where i am i see it almost impossible for the cow-calf guy unless he finishes too. There just isn't enough return from the calf to pay for the cow all winter on our expensive land that could be used for row crops/vegetables.

The BIG issue i see that you didn't even touch is where our beef in 10-20 years will come from when so few cattle farms HERE are getting rolled over to the next generation. Here the small old farm that historically sold calves is having the cows get sold cause of the high price of cull cows/ farmer selling due to retiring/no young generation interested or more than likely as what occurs here the next generation cant afford to buy it and the old generation needs or WANTS that high dollar for the equity in the farm

I SEE IT SO OFTEN HERE IN S. W. ONT.---- The old generation says why would i sell it to the next generation for X (all they can afford) when the farmer down the road (9 times out of 10 is european money) can give me 2X
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)