AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

clipped pastures - second time through (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/16/2010 11:58 (#1275731 - in reply to #1275712)
Subject: RE: carrying/finishing questions - some numbers

Driftless SW Wisconsin

In general terms I want to wean at around 700 lb in Nov, put them into corn at around 780-800 lb Jan 1 and harvest them at 1050 (hopefully) off of corn in mid April.

Yes it is critical to limit the corn available to them or they will trample an entire field looking for ears. I put cross wires through and only move them when they have eaten most ears (#1), husks/leaves (#2) and tops (#3). I do not force them to eat the lower stalks.

On the last move or two before processing I get more lenient and don't force them to eat much stalk. Ears, incl cobs and husks seem to make good beef.

I put cross wires and move the back wire as required exposing more corn, doesn't matter if they trample the old stuff - helps it break down. 

There is always very good hay, mineral and lots of good water available to them in addition to the corn.

Jim at Dawn

edit: you got me thinking about numbers. I know the steer above is 435 lb (or very close) on July 15th, it would take an average daily gain of 2.2 lb to get him to 700 lb by Nov 15th weaning (very doable most of my cows are really good m&g cows). Then an ADG of 2.2 to get him to 800 by Jan 1 (questionable). And an ADG of only 1.8 on corn/hay to get him to 1050 by April 15th (very doable if I manage the corn right). So I may be able to hit 1100 lb by 4/15 processing with his genetics which would be nice.

My calving was too spread out this spring for a number of reasons. Not all steers will be on this schedule this year. I may have to harvest a number of them lighter or keep them on grass and harvest later off of grass as noted above.

But if I can concentrate them closer to the one pictured above the system gets better.

I have redone my strip tilled corn on corn layout and ratio of corn to pasture strips this year based on what I have learned the past two years. Cows, retained heifers and bull will not be on corn at all. Thanks.

Edited by Jim 7/16/2010 14:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)