AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

freezer beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/12/2010 10:44 (#1195823 - in reply to #1195539)
Subject: Re: freezer beef

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Rob,

I had a BWF steer I processed last year. He was out of a Hereford cow that had been bred to a pretty high-priced Angus bull when I bought her.  We used the BWF steer at home and for our Friday noon cookouts at Dawn. 

As I am interested in the highest beef quality I can produce, I did my own side by side test. I could tell no difference between the beef from the BWF and the pure Hereford steer beef I used for comparison.

Between the Hereford and the Angus, IF THEY ARE FED THE SAME, I see no difference in the beef. That is probably not true of all breeds, but between Hereford and Angus they are close enough for me.

They tell me there is a benefit to the "heterosis" of terminal crosses but I see other problems that make me want to stay with Herefords for my type system and environment. My last BWF heifer is at the locker plant right now.

There are other reasons I like the "pure" Herefords. That is why I bought a registered Hereford heifer from ND this spring. No plans to change any time soon. I would not trade my Hereford bull for any other. At least not until I have to.

Speaking of bulls, my good neighbor and dairy farmer has a Jersey bull in the pasture adjacent to one of mine and what a pain in the neck that thing is!

jmho. Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/12/2010 10:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)