AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

freezer beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LukeSEWI
Posted 5/11/2010 22:25 (#1195125 - in reply to #1194715)
Subject: Re: freezer beef

WOW hope my processor doesnt see those prices! I pay $40 kill, and $.42 cut/wrap/freeze. Its a WI state inspected facility.

In regards to the grass-fed eating experience. Ive been at it for a couple years now and its been a steep learning curve. I finished one the first year, 5 the second, 11 last year, and will be doing 25 this year. All direct marketed... it only takes one or two bad ones to ruin my reputation. So I monitor everything pretty close.

Good eating is a function of both environment and genetics.

The simmentals i started with grow like crazy on grass. 1000lbs at 12 months, but its a lot harder to get the finish on them. Been breeding to red angus. Calves grow slower but put fat on faster (better marbling).

Ive dealt with a couple of "off-flavor" and toughness issues. My steers go across the scale about once every 60 days. I had one that lost some weight last year early on, put the finish on him later in the year... still tough meat. Anything that loses weight now goes through the grinder.

The off flavors seem to come of the spring and fall flush from cool season perennials. Protein in the grass is too high. This year im going to be finishing a few on Master Graze (grazing corn) to get them done before the fall flush on the perennial pastures. Ive also done a lot of work through foliar feeding to increase the sugars in the plants (making them sweeter). I learned early on that just because its green doesnt mean is good. If it tastes sweet to you, it tastes sweet to the cow, and the meat is gonna be sweeter.

Long winded response I know... its been an interesting endevor. As long as the phone keeps ringing Im gonna keep runnin em on grass.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)