AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strange conversation with car service manager.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 4/24/2024 06:42 (#10716911 - in reply to #10716600)
Subject: RE: Strange conversation with car service manager.

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

So, you are stopped at a light and all you have to do is pull and hold both shifter paddles and keep pressure on the foot brake pedal if you happen to be on an incline. Compare that to a modern torque convertor automatic with the auto hold feature engaged. Pull up to the light, stop, and the brake is auto engaged to keep you from creeping or rolling, even if you happen to be on an incline. Press accelerator to go when light changes. Sounds a bit more convenient and easier on fluid and transmission components. And then there is a Tesla. Quit pressing juice pedal as you approach stop light. Car stops and PM electric motors hold it from creeping or rolling with no intervention from driver. Light changes and driver presses juice pedal to apply juice to PM motor and make it turn, thus propelling car. One of the three methods sounds a lot handier to me.
And then we have to consider parallel parking, low speed driving through parking lots, and backing out of a parking spot. All of those situations will call on the transmission computer to ride the clutch in an effort to control speed. Sort of reminds me of my Grandpa's '61 Chevy with a 3 on the tree. With him at the wheel, it seemed a race to get to third gear as quickly as possible and he never down-shifted unless he came to a complete stop. Any other slow down would result in chugging the motor and riding the clutch in an effort to let the poor little straight 6 catch its breath. 
Of course, the GM engineers made the DC Tremec with city driving in mind. Probably explains the huge mileage intervals between fluid service ****

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)