AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can i use corn head grease in this leaking gearbox?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 3/27/2024 06:48 (#10682116 - in reply to #10681858)
Subject: RE: Can i use corn head grease in this leaking gearbox?

West Union, Illinois

Lanny S in MN - 3/26/2024 21:05 Has anyone used this in leaky irrigator wheel boxes? How did it work?
It works but ...  The "but" is it doesn't keep them from leaking but it slows it down. And it make draining water off the gearboxes more important.  The thicker grease keeps it from running out as fast but doesn't keep water from leaking in.  I put in one tube and top off with Valley gear lube.  My supply box in the side by side always includes a couple tubes of corn head grease and a jug of lube.

I have drain valves on almost all my gearboxes. Started with Double K Easy Drains

but I guess they are out of business.  I haven't had any luck contacting them.  So I started putting 1/4 turn ball valves in place of the drain plugs and removing the handle.  Works just as easy and cheaper.  Anyway, it makes it so much easier to drain the water off.  That's how I discovered if I used corn head grease in a gearbox it seemed to get water in it faster

New local  parts guy asked why farmers with red combines were using so much John Deere corn head grease.  Turns out they were selling more to go into irrigator gearboxes than they were corn heads.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)