AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ai syncing lactating cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

beanplanter
Posted 3/11/2024 11:20 (#10661278 - in reply to #10661062)
Subject: RE: Ai syncing lactating cows

Missouri

The standard cidr and the newer 7&7 are the only methods worth using as far as I'm concerned.

Can't pretend to know what your grass transition is like in June, but here the early fresh lush growth can be an issue. You need to be paying attention to Vitamin A levels and Sulfur levels leading up to breeding when trying to control success. Elevating A beyond what most minerals carry and controlling S can pay dividends. Some wells are hiding a significant source that quietly reeks havoc on AI and ET work. Don't let a salesman sell you old A prior to breeding season either, make sure it's fresh. I would not pull calves. Yes, it can trigger expression, but it also elevates body temperature and stress levels which requires days to level out from at a physiological level. It's basically a placebo affect for the operator and only occasionally comes through with an actual benefit. If you have bullet proof docile cows being pampered to elevated BSC scores, it tends to work better. Your cows look like working girls. I wouldn't think you are, but if you're providing a protein source at that time you need to be careful of where it's coming from. ET work has proven this is much more important than most know and the affects trickle down into AI and regular bull breeding programs as well.    

If academia would move beyond teaching 20 different sync methods that nobody needs and actually give producers the info beyond the basics there wouldn't be so many breeding disasters all over the country.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)