AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil test interpretation, fertility, fertilizer recommendations, and economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LPaulson7
Posted 2/14/2024 20:54 (#10623774 - in reply to #10623714)
Subject: RE: Soil test interpretation, fertility, fertilizer recommendations, and economics

Clark, SD
Didn't know how big of fields these were, but being that small one or 2 a field should work. In terms of your other questions, if this is all rented ground that you aren't assumed to have for years I wouldn't bother attempting to build levels as it's not your ground. I would look more towards strip tilling or applying removal rates. Here I shoot for between 200 ppm and 300 ppm for K levels. Ultimate goal is to get closer to 300-400 ppm for K. For P I'm generally shooting for between 50-80. But this is all on ground that we own or that we know w'll be farming for decades. We also have heavier ground here then your soil tests so your baseline levels may be lower then what I shoot for.

If I were in your shoes I would focus on getting crop removal rates out there and then really focus on the micro nutrients, they can make or break having a really good yield. As you said the edges of your fields have wildlife issues and probably tree issues and theres no easy solution to that so getting the average up significantly will probably always be an issue...unless you can start tearing trees out like we do here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)