AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom Fencing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jordan3215
Posted 1/13/2024 23:07 (#10572882 - in reply to #10572755)
Subject: RE: Custom Fencing

West Central Nebraska - Sandhills
Ive fenced some myself and hired some done. A good fencing contractor can make some decent money and have happy customers that feel like they got a fair deal. I would look and see if your local ag university or extension office has a custom rate publication for your area, UNL does a custom Ag rate survey for about everything here (haying, fencing, calving, backgrounding etc) and that would give you a place to start. You should really inspect jobs before just offering a price. Tall hills, brush, rock, etc could double/triple the time it takes to complete a job. I would also price your labor completely separately for materials. Offer for the rancher to provide his own materials, I think a lot will want to, and if they want you to provide I would get prices and then be up front that you’re charging a % fee above cost of supplies for sourcing and procuring them. I would invest in a Milwaukee staple gun, you won’t believe how quickly that will pay for itself. Another thought, if you’re not sure and just want to get your feet wet before you get a skid steer, UTV, and staple gun (would be my 3 must haves if I was starting fencing business), you could start in the spring with repairing fence for ranchers before they turn out to grass. Bigger ranchers in this area never have enough time to get around fence in the spring and are always looking to hire someone. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)