AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns and others---gestational diabetes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 12/25/2023 14:01 (#10540941 - in reply to #10538840)
Subject: RE: Continuing education and state of the art

Southwestern Minnesota
I agree that the benefit of doing your own continuing education is very valuable and helps have a better conversation with your provider. I watch many of the links you provide. Many are very good and spot on. However, many continue to bash and make fun of our healthcare system and medical providers in general and often bring up and scoff at the studies of Ancel Keyes that were done a long time ago. If you look at the cholesterol/saturated fat studies that were being done at the time, they were being done in rabbits, which had the unique ability to absorb cholesterol into their blood from their food. The mistake that was made was that this research was then applied to humans, which did not have any connection. Ancel Keyes, himself, stated that. In a 1997 interview, Keyes said, "There's no connection whatsoever between cholesterol in food and cholesterol in blood. None. We've known that all along. Cholesterol in the diet doesn't matter at all unless you happen to be a chicken or a rabbit." But, yes, unfortunately the US government dietary guidelines adopted this and it took two decades to undo that. (Way too long.)

The wheels of government do grind very slowly and methodically a lot of the time. Sometimes that is good and sometimes not. However, there is a lot of new research and studies published that does not point back to the Ancel Keyes studies that are very current and informative. A book that my medical doctor recently recommended for me to read was the book called "Outlive" by Peter Attia, MD. Copyright 2023. It's a long read, but discusses a lot of the new research being done with regards to heart disease, cancer and dementia (the big three as he calls them). You may (or may not) find it interesting.

My advice for gestational diabetes is still the same- stick with the guidance of the health care provider you have chosen to provide your care. Be informed and ask questions. If you don't care for your provider, then absolutely, "fire them" and find someone who will listen and work with you.
Merry Christmas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)