AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land rent etiquette
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 12/8/2023 20:55 (#10516135 - in reply to #10515621)
Subject: RE: Land rent etiquette

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
I’ve had landlords approach me and sometimes they are legit wanting YOU to farm it and sometimes they need a new dupe to run up the rent and have a backup plan if the current tenant won’t pony up. I had a situation where I was pretty confident I was being duped and I approached the current tenant and told him what happened. Sadly that actually severed a relationship between us till he died because he never got it out of his head I approached the landowner.

I’ve had 2 other times where I talked to the current tenant and they were both appreciative and I told the landlord I’d be willing to pay whatever John Doe was paying. Once I got it and once I got laughed at.

There’s been other times I didn’t talk to the tenant because I had a poor or No relationship with them and the owner expressed dissatisfaction with them bigly.

On the bonus piece I have written a bonus calculation into any lease I have that isn’t overly high to begin with if i haven’t tiled it on my own dime only. Other farms the landlord has helped pay for tile and they have a bonus written in for yield and price. (I have some happy landlord this year).

As one posted said, write 2 checks. It gives the appearance it is a bonus and not guaranteed year on year:
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)