AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hearing impared
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

farmnsew
Posted 12/4/2023 14:31 (#10509830 - in reply to #10509219)
Subject: RE: Hearing impared

N E Iowa
My wife has 3 brothers 1 sister and 1 nephew with Cochlear Implants.
For some it seemed to work really well but it was quite a challenge for one to adapt after the surgery.
She has one brother who was a missionary in Zimbabwe and has had one for 20 years. Every 4 years he would
come back to the US and have his implant checked and usually updated. He has a hard time on the phone
but he does pretty well on facetime because he can read lips.
Most of my wife's family uses text messages or facetime on the phones.
They told me that quality of the phone makes a difference and bluetooth to the implant has helped a lot.
My wife just got off the phone with her brother in Africa after a 20 minute conversation on facetime.

I can have a conversation with them face to face easier than I can with some of her siblings that don't have implants.
Genetic weakness in the family's hearing.

They all say it was definitely worth getting.

I don't know about durability on the farm. The one in Africa was College farm advisor but also spent time teaching in a classroom
I was in the classroom once when some students started with excuses why the didn't have the assignment finished. He looked at
them, reached up and took his receiver off his head and laid it on the podium. I watched the students shoulder sag and head hang
as he stopped talking in mid sentence. He knew the teacher could not hear without his receiver on his head.

Good luck with your journey.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)