AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hearing impared
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Irrigate NE
Posted 12/4/2023 09:16 (#10509445 - in reply to #10509219)
Subject: RE: Hearing impared

South Central NE
I'm 73. My hearing problems date to 2009 and probably before. Some is environmental and some genetically caused. But when the grandkids started coming along and I couldn't hear them that was my cue to do something. The first time my hearing was assessed it was 45% of normal on the right side and 15% on the left.
I've had hearing aids for about 15 years. I started with the very basic ones to begin with and have progressed to a set that is much more technologically advanced. I now have Bluetooth capabilities and the Thrive App.
I do have a couple of settings that I have authored on my App so that if I am in conversational settings I switch to them for maximum hearing. I have different settings that I use for operating a tractor or car to get rid of background noise. I also routinely adjust the volume in different situations. It's all very simple to do.
I also use my Bluetooth feature for talking on the phone or listening to YouTube or other videos. Again very simple to do.
I am not a patient person but I made up my mind to learn the system and make it work for me. I do have my aids cleaned and checked out at least once every month, sometimes more if needed.
I also know that at some point I will need to have a Coclear (sp?) implant. But I am waiting for the technology to improve. The last reading I have done about the implant was that the cost was in the $70k - $80k range. Medicare will pay a substantial amount of that. I'm not sure if private health insurance will pay or not. As I understand it it's a surgical implant. I do know 2 guys who have them and they are very happy with them.
I'd suggest that you take the time to learn what your options are and don't give up. Learn how to use them and get the most out of them. There's a lot of good information available for anyone to use. The hearing aid companies want you to be happy and keep coming back. My experience is that they will work very hard to keep a satisfied customer.
Hopefully this helps someone out because it's a hard, frustrating life if you can't hear.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)