AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you tell your dad it's time to stop driving tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Johndeere7920
Posted 9/5/2023 06:49 (#10389049 - in reply to #10388980)
Subject: RE: Thanks for the good ideas

Central Indiana
Unfortunately I think it’s going to take a close call or his doctor to make him understand that it’s time to hang it up. There’s no easy way about it and no matter how it’s handled you’re going to hurt someone just hopefully not physically. Grandpa finally quit about 80 but he was also dumping the clutch on the 4020 when I was trying to hook him up to something. Too many close calls almost being ran over and dad getting on to him pretty good about it. Started asking where the combine was when it would be right behind him and it was time. I put him in a different tractor with a new tillage tool that took more than just throwing a lever and turning. Tried teaching him how to run it and he couldn’t get the hang of it. He eventually grew frustrated and kicked himself out of the tractor and combine by himself. It hurt his pride but it was a decision he made vs being forced to quit. Now he comes to the farm and sits in the chair and watches us or asks questions from time to time. He’s happier I think with less stress and knowing he doesn’t have to worry about screwing something up. I feel this type scenario may be your best approach to get him off the step. If he enjoys piddling get him an older antique tractor with minimal work he can fix up and drive around in the pasture on. Might be good for his mind to fix something and he can still hold the wheel. Good luck with your situation
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)