AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low carb, carnivore diet. My experience.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/29/2023 21:34 (#10294042 - in reply to #10293826)
Subject: in addition...........pizza

Pittsburg, Kansas

One other comment. Pizza is a killer as far as low carb is concerned.

I have testimony from one person that pizza is what did him in. He had done low carb and lost a lot of weight and was doing good. Then the family went out for pizza. He thought one slice will not hurt. One slice turned into stuffing his face. And that was the beginning of the end. He fell off the wagon and gained all the weight back.

Pizza is the perfect food to gain weight. It is the combination of carbs, fat and often sugar that is the perfect recipe to gain weight and be a food subject to addiction and cravings. The carbs raise the insulin shunting even the fat to fat storage.

We eat pizza at home fairly regularly. But no crust and any sauce we use we make sure it has no added sugar and use it sparingly. We make our pizza low carb in a skillet with ground beef on the bottom then low carb veg and cheese melted on top. But of course a person has to do that at home. At a pizza joint you can often order a "pizza bowl" that has all the ingredients but with no crust. That helps but often they do use a sweet sauce so it can still be fairly high carb. But certainly not as bad as eaten with the crust.

If wife and I are forced to somehow eat pizza, we just eat the toppings and leave the crust. Not a perfect solution but will work in a pinch.

The perfect recipe for gaining weight is to combine fats with carbs. Carbs raise the insulin, insulin tells the body to store fat. In that case BOTH the carbs AND the fat. Fat alone will not raise insulin and fat and protein only a tiny bit. But add carbs in and it becomes additive and hormones take over where the excess energy goes.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)