AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Following the post below, Least Liked tractor transmission
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 6/2/2023 09:56 (#10253672 - in reply to #10252303)
Subject: RE: Following the post below, Least Liked tractor transmission

Jeffersonville, OH
Growing up in the machinery business and at the dealership and what seemed like about every auction east of Iowa will get you in the seat of a LOT of different tractors.

The old CASE transmission, like a 930-1030 Wheatland/Standard tractor, with the goofy little pin you had to steer toward it's destination is always fun, about like an old Single stick 2 Cylinder Deere with all it's gates. Cockshutt, and the older CASE DC/SC style transmission was similar, without gates.

4020 Style Deere Synchro and the 06-66 IH stuff is about the same, probably great new, but put 6-10K hours on it and they are sloppy messes you can't find a gear in, with the Deere being slightly better than the IH. The Deere PS I learned at a very early age not to leave them idling in Park, because you are one little bump from them jumping into gear and driving away.

86 Series IH Cab the shifters are fine once you get into them, but put it in Park and try to get out of the cab and it catches your shorts, belt, belt loop, whatever and you learn to despise them. If they would have opened the door the right direction, it would have helped. Those same people who loved those tractors hated a 7000 AC because of a small cab door...at least the AC the door opened the right way, and the shifter was only in your way once you got a foot in the cab!

They all have their quirks really until you get into the mid 70's when they all realized you couldn't put 200hp through 8 gears and have it live very long...then you get into more problems with shift linkage or cables than you do actual gears in the transmission!

Now, as far as that guy who said Belarus, that may be one of the worst things I ever had the misfortune of driving. The one I was in all day running a loader for a guy had some goofy ratchet style shifter off a motorcycle, about the time I figure out how to run it decent, I was done with it. Thank God for that too! There was also a CNH model range in the early 2000's, 80-100hp or so, that had the dumbest PTO lever in the history of man...if you were more than about 150lbs, when you engaged the PTO the lever came right up at you from the floor and ended up way too close to your crotch for much comfort if you were trying to do anything other than drive on smooth concrete. One bad bounce and you were hurting...they changed it pretty quick, because I never hardly see that style lever.

We could all sit here and ramble for hours about how stupid this was, or that was, and get to Deere is better, IH is better, AC is stupid, etc...but at some point, they all break, they all did bonehead stuff, and whatever you have support in your area for is what you learned how to make work for your jobs!
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)