AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

14 yr old farm helper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

r82230
Posted 6/2/2023 06:04 (#10253370 - in reply to #10252511)
Subject: RE: Risk

Thumb of Michigan
BobC - 6/1/2023 14:15

Bigger picture. . .

Back in the day, I worked on a tree crew that employed a 16 year old that legally could perform SOME of the work. Unfortunately, on the day he was killed, he was not performing one of the legally permitted jobs. It was a complete disaster for his family, obviously. It also wrecked the business.

I doubt that farming is much safer than tree work. . . I doubt most farmers dot their I's and cross their T's much better than the owner of that tree business.

No chance that I'd let a 14 year old town kid on the farm. This is a professional operation and equipment are not toys. He'd require too much attention to keep him safe and add too much risk to the operation as a going concern.

I was wondering when someone would finally post the obvious. OSHA would (along with his relatives' attorney) would have a field day, it the kid got hurt/killed while ANY power equipment, let alone un-supervised. If a 14-year-olds could legally operate a weedwhacker, I'd imaging ever lawn service would be hiring them. as would fast food joints would be hiring them too.

IIRC the federal government back in the Clinton years past more restituted child labor laws. Doesn't apply to your kids but does to your grandkids/friends/neighbors/relatives.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)