AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I don't understand this blood sugar thing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/19/2023 08:11 (#10192949 - in reply to #10192865)
Subject: Type I and II differences

Pittsburg, Kansas

overbrook - 4/19/2023 06:30  You'll come to realize that although Type I and II are both called diabetes they have very little in common and really are 2 entirely different conditions. The long term effects of high blood sugar apply to both but the treatments and causes are vastly different.

Never truer words spoken. Totally different diseases. Type II is a disease of too much insulin creating insulin resistance. Type I is a total lack of insulin, a life sustaining hormone. Type I's without insulin injections will just wither away skin and bones, not being able to put on an ounce of fat no matter how much or what they eat.

Dr Bernstein IS a type I so he very well knows how to manage type I diabetics.

In general the medical community does not recognize that type I's can also experience the effects like type II's have from too much insulin and insulin resistance. If you see a type I that is somewhat over weight they are likely eating too many carbs and just taking enough insulin to offset the excess consumption. Just like a type II does when they over eat carbohydrates and their pancreas produces enough insulin to take care of the excess blood glucose.

Modern insulin pumps are a godsend, but they can be abused, overused and the type I's can become unhealthy metabolically just like the type II's. If a type I patient finds their doctor tells them "just eat what you want and take enough insulin to offset the blood sugar level", they better find a better doctor. That doctor does not understand the disease very well or what excess insulin over time does to the body.

Too many carbs and insulin to offset the blood sugar levels and the type I can suffer the same maladies as a type II. Over weight, fatty liver, etc. etc.

Too high of blood sugar levels is bad. Too long of excessively high insulin levels is also bad. The latter is not given much thought in the general medical community. Dr Bernstein does.

Edited by John Burns 4/19/2023 08:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)