AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Phantom Corn Yield loss
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEIAAG
Posted 9/20/2022 18:08 (#9853123 - in reply to #9852806)
Subject: RE: Phantom Corn Yield loss

badger@uw - 9/20/2022 13:18

Yes. 

One farm I have runs about 15% losses on wildlife - despite first-out strategy.  Most farm have moisture storage capacity issues, leading to stalk cannibalization, head shelling.  We are out there picking in response to the scouting, and choose field sequencing based on field loss potential (or risk of getting stuck).   Pick 1/4 field where droughted, pick the headlands only, pick only one variety.   Constant triage.   What I do not ever consider is dry matter loss potential.   If it's wet and standing, leave it. 

There is no such thing as dry matter phantom losses.  

Some folks could try farming fewer acres rather than writing propane checks if they are concerned about getting done - in a good year.   Or less tillage. 

Ok. If you say so. Like I said, I completely disagree whether it be combine monitor problems like you say or what. We have very little wildlife here. But countless times we have seen yield disappear seemingly out of thin air. 25 bushels gone..never to be seen or found again. For example, for about three decades my family rented a farm on halves. Every year the same sequence happened. We opened the field and put the endrows and point rows in to feeding bin that we used to feed cattle together with. Then combined the remaining 80 or so acres harvesting two header widths, skip two headers widths and so forth til the end, then split the last pass in half. The landlord was always first and went directly to town. We would come back in a few weeks and get our half and it went directly across the same scale You know in 30 plus years ,our half was never close to his.....ever. It got closer though near the end because we couldn't ignore the obvious.
Maybe you can but I will keep happily writing the gas check, and collecting the bushels. You can do what you want. Your yield will never be bigger than at black layer....ever.

Edited by NEIAAG 9/20/2022 18:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)