AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Phantom Corn Yield loss
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

badger@uw
Posted 9/20/2022 20:09 (#9853299 - in reply to #9853126)
Subject: RE: References

East Troy, WI
the introduction in that article describes most of the well done studies attempting to quantify respiration is a means to lose dry matter until low equilibrium moisture is achieved. it certainly cannot be zero, but it does not appear to be measurable in this or most other studies. the Crux of the theory is respiratory losses, that just does not seem to be born on replication

probably most importantly with this type of study is it .. on purpose... is ignoring every good reason to try to get done as quickly as possible, and consider starting early. I picked my fair share of 35% corn. the article cited rather frequently are from the mid-90s that have not been replicated.

the term "phantom losses" was the result of the mid 90's studies that were sensationalized and not challenged for several years.

Edit to add: one thing to take note is most storage related respiratory losses are related to fungal activity. it's unavoidable, but I suspect the fungal respiratory pressures on standing field corn is quite a bit lower.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)