AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Increasing my drainage coefficient on tiled ground..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thekcirp
Posted 7/2/2022 12:03 (#9730689 - in reply to #9730561)
Subject: The surface drainage in this field.........................

NEMO

is actually pretty good, it follows the natural grade well. Naturally there are always 'some ponds' but on a field this size, I would consider it fairly minimal
12 hrs after a normal midwest frog striper. Biggest problem is when the district ditches are full the lower end(south) has nowhere for water to flow. The
water from the north end has to flow across the southern half of the field to exit, so the southern half has its own water plus the runoff from the north.
Same way with the tile. I have a pretty good understanding of ditches I think, have been down in these bottoms 56 years(life long). Seems to me that
cutting the length of the run would sure help alot, although there have been some pretty good thoughts for some other considerations to. Ditches are
only as good as they're maintained, which is a constant battle, but just a part of the gig where I'm at. I have my own tile plow and have put in quite a
bit in the past, but not to much on this gumbo type. Usually on better 'made' dirt that percolates much better. I like to run 3" about 30-36" deep on 33'
centers with 1/4 mile or less runs, drop a main every 10-12 acres. This field, I dont own, so trying to do the best with least amount of dollars. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)