AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for CATGUY and others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 6/12/2009 21:35 (#743078 - in reply to #742843)
Subject: RE: Question for CATGUY and others

Iowa
The 3116 is NOT a wet sleeve engine. It is just a plain block that can be bored and resleeved back to the original bore size. The military engines we do, there is less than $100 between the local machine shop and sleeves cost verses CAT reman block(bare). Now, one thing you didn't mention was if there was damage to the cylinder walls (I will assume there is enough damage that a Dingle-berry style hone won't clean it up good enough to to rering, plus there is probably plenty of cylinder wear on a 1994 engine anyways). I tend to agree that a reman is probably the best overall choice. Your cylinder head is shot, I assume also. The debris probably went into the turbo "hot" housing and damaged the turbo's turbine fins. That one injector in that cylinder is damaged from debris also(many more, IF the debris jumped to different cylinders). You have better warranty on the reman engine, the reman governor(type 5) should have the updated parts in it, the oil cooler gaskets should be the updated style on the reman, the cam follower gaskets and longer mounting bolts(with spacers) to improve clamping force should be on the reman engine, you'll have new bearings, rings, reman water pump, oil pump, etc. with the reman engine. I don't know how "torn down" the engine is currently, but have you considered buying the reman engine yourself and installing it yourself to save on labor charges. Don't know what you think of that idea. I assume that $11,300 was a complete engine and not a reman long block. NOTE: I don't sit behind a desk or work with invoices, so I'm not all that familiar with actual dollar amounts. You wouldn't be able to do a reman long block by yourself. (too many special tools needed for adjustments in the top end of that engine)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)