AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planters John Deere vs. CIH
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 6/12/2009 02:24 (#742190 - in reply to #741451)
Subject: RE: planter gage wheel width

Colby, Kansas
Sorry Jim,

I must not have been clear enough in my post as I intended it to be somewhat location specific as Dale and my family farm in many of the same townships with similar cropping systems. My pet pieve is when people make broad recommendations and I try and stay clear of that.

I would certainly not advocate people using my comments outside our dryland no-till region.

You bring up excellent points about down pressure and depth control. I understand your point about needed flotation in some cases. That was a concern and I have been conscious to pay attention to that. In my experience even in situations and combinations of poor soil structure, fields that had recent tillage, and planting when it really was too wet I haven't seen that to be a problem yet. With the addition of pneumatic down pressure systems I would imagine some of these concerns with narrow guage wheels may be helped somewhat especially as you move into environments involving more tillage and moisture. Our problem seldom is flotation.

Just my 0.02

Lucas

Edited by LHaag 6/12/2009 02:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)