AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planters John Deere vs. CIH
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 6/11/2009 09:32 (#740966 - in reply to #740332)
Subject: Re: planters John Deere vs. CIH

We bought a new 16/32 1790 in 2004. Personally, we never cared for the planter. Whether it was us, poor dealer support, poor design, or most likely a combination of all three take your pick. We never could get the seed spacing or depth control like ur old Kinze. Also had other issues with it that first year. After three years we went back to a Kinze (3600) but still didn't get the seed spacing like we got with our old 2600. Kinze serviceman said we would either. We never put on the E-Sets on the 1790, maybe we should have, We ordered a set but a rep from Precision told my son at the NMS in Louisville that winter that they wouldn't solve our problems.

This year we purchased a new CIH 1240. Yes, we have had several electrical issues that have been frustrating plus we had problems early on with breaking meter drives but seem to have gotten over that. I have been post spraying corn the last few days & will say our stands are the best I have ever seen. My wife even made a comment about how good the spacing was on the corn which says something as she is a city gal, though admittedly she has spend a lot more years on the farm since we were married than growing up in town.

I think JD has made many improvemnets to the 1790s since we purchased ours. 2004 was the first year of actual production, there were a limited number out in 2003. WE considered going back to a 1790 before we purchased the 1240 but just couldn't get over that bad taste we had from the first one. I will say, if we had traded for another green one it would have been from a different dealer. I think that was as much as our problem as anything.

I do know refuge corn can be some what of a PITA with the 12xxs. Deere has the extra refuge tank now where as on the 1240 we put on individual row boxes for the refuge rows. In beans we remove the boxes & just run from the bulk tanks, just a matter of removing the boxes from the meters & hooking the seed delivery tubes back up.

The one biggest complaint I have on the 12xxs, and it's actually with the engineers than the planter, but why in the world did they put on a 45 unit bulk tank when the seed industry has pretty much standardised the 50 unit mini bulk? Seemsd like they could have made a few phone calls and checked out what was going on. Maybe it's because they were working with Becks at the time & Becks was using 40 unit mini bulks but even Becks have gone mostly to the 50 unit minis
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)