AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planters John Deere vs. CIH
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 6/11/2009 12:22 (#741182 - in reply to #740332)
Subject: RE: planters John Deere vs. CIH

Colby, Kansas
Dale,

As you know I've always been around the cyclos at home. Here in my employment I've had the opportunity to work quite a bit with Deere and White's as well. This past year we had the opportunity at work to add another bulk planter. We found a used (2004) 1200-8RN over at Hoxie. I was well familiar with the row unit itself but completely new to the metering. I'm really impressed with the metering and the singulation system. I think in order to make a fair comparison between a 1200 and a Deere you would need to add the cost of E-set setup to the Deere. I'm not advocating that the spacing improves enough to make a difference, but that's the only way to make the two metering systems equivalent.

My main sell on a CIH is the offset disc openers. I truly believe that this is the best no-till opener available, period. I have yet to see a true-v style handle stripped stubble as well as an offset disc. Sunflower used to have that figured out on their drills too until they screwed that up.
At times the closing system isn't quite desirable but nor do I think the pinching wheels are great either. Were hoping to update soon at home as well, the next one will be red again.

One thing to think about if your ordering a new one, we converted ours to the narrow guage wheels (2.75"). I would assume this option is a lot cheaper from the factory than doing it through parts. This has really helped consistent depth control when planting back on stalks. I also like it going into stubble as it knocks less over and really leaves some nice standing strips between the planted rows. I really don't know why all planters in our region aren't ordered this way, the only place where I could see an advantage to the wide gauge wheels would be in full tillage. I think Deere offers a similar option, our next airseeder will have them as well.

Lucas

p.s. would you shoot me an email sometime, I'd like to have your address.

Edited by LHaag 6/11/2009 12:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)