AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

duramax diesel fuel milage and chipping?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Redwrench
Posted 5/28/2009 22:38 (#726322 - in reply to #724614)
Subject: Me too, Iseedit

I quit responding to posts about Duramax mileage too. I really don't care if people believe what it does or not. My 05 Dmax gets slightly better mileage than your 06, because the 05 is set up for 310HP instead of 360Hp.
The main factor in mileage is your right foot. I no longer care if a Ferd P-stroke, Dodge Cummins, or whatever beats me to the next stoplight. I quit treating the throttle like an On-Off switch many years ago. and I am surprised at the difference in MPG running 65 instead of 70. Something like 22.5 vs 21.0 on a calm day, on level roads, with no or mild headwinds.
Of course, mileage also sucks in stop-and-go traffic. My last trip to Dallas averaged 19.4 combined freeway, city, shopping malls, etc. for 800 miles round-trip.
Another big factor is terrain (it's quite level where I live) and wind conditions. I can pull our 30' 5th wheel on the level, and get 14.5MPG average at 65MPH. But throw in a headwind and some hills, and that quickly drops down to about 10MPG. I got a miserable 7.5MPG pulling from Santa Rosa NM to Kleins Corner NM (practically all uphill) into a very stiff headwind last summer, but you better run with the traffic on I40 or get ran off the road.
I bought the darn thing wanting it to last 250K miles. I'm not wasting money on a chip to see if I can make the engine, transmisson, or rear axle give out any sooner.

Edited by Redwrench 5/28/2009 22:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)