AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 7000 / Row Cleaner aggravation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jb12string
Posted 5/20/2009 17:19 (#719279)
Subject: John Deere 7000 / Row Cleaner aggravation

We plant with a John Deere 7000 conservation planter, it has no-till coulters mounted on th frame. We are looking at adding row cleaners, but so far have hit a wall of some sort every way we look at it. I contacted the local dealer that sells Dawn, Martin and Yetters and they recommended the Martin because they felt the floating feature would be to our benefit, but the Martin wouldn't fit if we continued using the coulters. The other recommendation was Dawns if we wanted to keep the coulters, but we would have to move the row units back so they would fit. They offered to give us one of each set up to experiment with to see what would work best for us. Our ground is a little rocky mostly baseball to grapefruit sized quartz and soap stone, probably 4 x 8 on average. We figured with the Dawns mounted on the row unit, we would be lifting the unit up with the cleaner every time we hit a bigger rock and since the Martin would be easier to put on anyways we thought we'd try that first, well they went on without a problem, but as soon as I put the wheels on them I knew they would hit the frame where the coulter arms mounted, which also holds the row unit on the frame, So if I am going to use them, I will either have to find some way to extend the cleaners past the coulter mount or put an extension on to move the row unit back, which wouldn't be a big deal, but certainly a pain, and I still would probably lose the use of my coulters. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am trying to learn more about no-till practices and why we do things the way we do them. I am a third generation part-time farmer, we have a little over 40 acres that we plant in corn or beans. Right now we are doing things the way my Grandfather did them, just because that is how we have always done them :) and I am not entirely sure he always knew what he was doing when he started doing some of this stuff :) For instance, someone asked me what we were using the coulters on the planter for and I had to admit that it was probably because they were there when we bought the planter, I honestly don't know. So I realize that there is a lot I don't know, but please go gently on me, I am trying to cure my ignorance :) I also realize this is kind of a long post and I probably rambled some, but I figure if I start talking, you guys can ask me the questions that you need to get the right info and eventually get me straightened out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)