AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I agree, rolling fields will allow for a quicker harvest...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 5/20/2009 15:00 (#719206)
Subject: I agree, rolling fields will allow for a quicker harvest...

Blue Earth, MN
because there won't be anything left to harvest.

I'd like to hear from the person who had the idea to start rolling ground in south central MN after today. I know we are experiencing abnormally strong winds but why would one put their fields in a condition that would be very susceptible to erosion. I know I'd be crying if I owned the crop in some of these fields that are blowing.

I now see a guy is out rotary hoeing the field he just rolled a few days ago! Unbelievable!

In my opinion, this rolling practice has set us back 50 years when it comes to soil preservation and conservation.

Other observations I've noticed. Vertical tillage (company shall remain nameless but it does start with an "S") that was done in standing corn stalks this spring is a disaster as well. Not only are most of the corn stalk residue blowing off, but now the soil that was loosened by the coulters is starting to blow. Not a good situation at all.

Best fields that are handling the excessive wind energy, 1) anything that wasn't rolled, 2) corn on corn-all tillage methods--plow, conventional till, strip till. Corn on beans conventional till is blowing on some soil types. Strip till corn on beans isn't blowing at all.

I know I will get bomb-blasted but I don't know how one could look at their field today and say the blowing soil is okay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)