AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making use of the No-till payment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sri
Posted 9/26/2008 22:58 (#470091 - in reply to #469891)
Subject: RE: Problem is...............

nw pa

From what I have seen of these programs there is not enough follow through from the government... Helping to buy a new planter or drill is fine...  What they really need is the follow up on how to best use it at the farm level.  This means being there to help set it up and design it to work on that particular farm..   Machinery dealers would also sell a lot more no-till in this area if just somebody would be around for the follow -up.. too many times I see some farmer in the area get a no-till piece of machinery only to try it a couple of times and then go back to the tried and true. Not worth the risk of losing a crop. The learning curve is just to great. Has taken us quite a number of years to get comfortable with no-till beans and wheat. Yes it might save a few bucks and on the right ground is a no-brainer.  Normally in corn the difference between no-till and some kind of tillage is at least a week to ten days. When corn just makes it to black layer before frost. We need all the heat and warm ground we can get.  Strip till may be the answer but probably not for us.  To far down the road to re-equip for the acreage we plant.. would be nice to have a rental around somewhere to try at least.

One of the problems of farming off the beaten path so to speak..  guys in big farm country  can usually have these things around and least to see how they work..

If the government was serious about going no-till and showing how it would help and work they need to get the three or four guys out of the office and out on the farm.Just maybe they could teach us something and take back something for themselves.

I'll buy my own equipment but am not going to buy something that may not work here.

enough of a rant.  thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)