AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

beef cow efficiency
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 1/4/2011 11:25 (#1525960 - in reply to #1525404)
Subject: RE: beef cow efficiency

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Keep in mind, so much of this is dependent upon feed. Most of the adjusted weaning weights are so much BS. Did the calves get fed grain or supplement of some sort? What about the cow? Was she on dry range ground, mountain meadows, irrigated pasture or pasture plus being fed grain or supplements?

None of that is ever considered. We raise some purebred angus cattle, and you know a lot of the weaning weights you are entered with at a bull sale are inflated by one means or another. We've never fed a cow grain or supplement, and don't intend to. Those bulls are never going to see any grain after they are sold, why should they before the bull sale? Sure it makes them look pretty, but they'll break down quicker, esp. out on the desert where a lot of guys run.

I could say we wean heavier calves than a lot of the commercial guys around here, but look at the feed. They are out on BLM or FS leases that are tens of thousands of acres. Cow has to work a little out there, I'm on irrigated pasture. Cow has to walk maybe 1/2 mile to get water is all. Of course my weaning weights are going to be heavier, but their feed cost is much, much lower.

Lot of different things to consider is all I'm saying. Look at Jim at Dawns cows. (Not to pick on you Jim, I enjoy your pictures, I'm just guessing you are open minded to discussing this.) Beautiful cows, but how much feed does it take to maintain that condition? He weans some very heavy calves, and probably does it fairly reasonable due to his access to standing corn, etc. I don't have that. Sure, I could bring grain in and bring my weaning weight up, but at what cost? Look at your own profitability rather than some arbitrary numbers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)