AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

de-pescribing insulin and medication for diabetics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/23/2023 06:47 (#10108264 - in reply to #10108235)
Subject: RE: Bikman and preventing/reversing diabetes

Pittsburg, Kansas
My understanding is it helps the cells be less insulin resistant. So rather than being involved in forcing the pancreas to put out more insulin, it just helps the cells to utilize better what insulin is naturally available.

Several of the doctors I follow talk about Metformin being the "least bad" of all of the diabetes drugs and some research even shows some association (not proof, just association) with other potential health benefits. Its side effects are pretty much dose dependent. In other words higher doses are more likely to cause stomach discomfort and irregularity. As side effects go, it is pretty minimal and non-dangerous.

One other diabetic medicine of recent invention, which I have no experience with it, causes the excess glucose to be urinated out rather than be absorbed into the bloodstream. So it would be another pill that does not increase already high levels of insulin in the body. But from what I understand it has its own problems, one of them being with such high levels of glucose in the urine, urinary tract infections. Bad bugs (including most all cancers) love glucose. Reducing the dose of glucose in the bloodstream (by dietary controll of carbohydrates, namely reducing them) seems like a lot more logical solution rather than giving drugs to manage ever higher levels of glucose in the blood.

But that is just me. Maybe I'm just a simpleton and can't think very clearly. Doctors surely know better.

Edited by John Burns 2/23/2023 06:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)