AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slippery slimey slugs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Brian sepa
Posted 10/29/2007 18:24 (#228680)
Subject: Slippery slimey slugs

Lancaster County, Pa.
Have had mild internittent issues w/slugs in high reside no-till over last few years. This past spring I had two fields with signifigant slug damage. One field was low ground, took off corn silage in fall, hauled manure, seeded oats, planted corn first week of May. Second field same scenario except it was higher ground and cover was barley that was too tall when killed (almost headed). I have been watching all summer and either there are more slugs than there used to be, or I just never saw them before. In tassled corn this summer I cound go into some fields in the mornings and from one location see 20 (guess) slugs on the corn. This morning I went out to check the mud situation and in a bean stubble field pulled out a stalk and just underground on the beanstalk was a slug. He had to be cold, we had frost. I am 100% no-till. Here are my questions. 1- Are slugs becoming more of a problem or do they become more of a a problem the longer you no-till? 2- What can be done about them? Either control or at least suppression. I have heard of spraying UAN at night, never tried it. From what I have seen this year I'm afraid I may have real problems next spring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)