AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody know how this all goes back together? (Humor for White tractor people)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 5/6/2009 21:58 (#705369 - in reply to #705323)
Subject: RE: We are very lucky.

Somerville, Indiana
We have a mechanic that spends about 1/4 of his time at our place, working on either our equipment or someone else's who don't have a shop. He was mechanic at IH dealer and learned from a good service manager. He is very sharp, always reads the service manual before he begins working on something he hasn't been into before. He did a lot of reading before starting to rebuild our winches, now he just goes after it like he rebuilt one yesterday. AND, he don't run his mouth about something that has nothing to do with what we are working on, big plus there.

Ryan has been able to find youngsters just out of school for heavy work that doesn't require real experience. I consider that to be luck too, as there are so many ppl who just seem to hate work. I really don't know what has happened to a large portion of our society but they are going to have to change their attitude for the US of A to come out of this situation we are all in.

That said, I feel the need to repeat what DL Nurrenbern once said. Pay people peanuts for working and you get a monkey for a hand. Very true words. I also would hate to go work at someone else's place every day and wonder how I am going to pay my living expenses. If you need a good mechanic it is going to cost you 25 to $30 an hour at the least if he has tools and knowledge. Sounds like a lot of money but in todays world it certainly won't buy much either. Standard rate at most dealers is $86/hour and that does add up quick! We just got our 181 Local union wage scale that we are expected to pay when on union jobs. Operator wage is just under $40/hour when all the perks are paid. Check issued each Friday for the past week's work. If worker's boss forgets to pay on Friday, worker gets 2 hours pay to pick up check later. If worker is laid off, check is due at that moment. If worker is laid off for 5 days, he is considered terminated and free to go to another job. I put this last part in because so many of us haven't kept up with today's ways.

I hope you find the help you need. It has been a problem for so many people in the last few years.

Bobby, that planter is really nice, but I am afraid its much too complicated for my limited knowledge and reflexes. They seldom let me even combine beans anymore. I think about that a lot remembering that Terry helped get our down corn out last fall with a red combine that he hardly even saw before. Just another example that good help is out there, we just need to look a little harder.

dm
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)