AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drill Doctor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 4/30/2009 13:19 (#698442 - in reply to #698012)
Subject: RE: Drill Doctor....secrets?

I use a medium to fine grit wheel... but that's what I have in the grinder anyway. Finer works better.
I keep the wheel reasonably well dressed. It's got a tilt to it now but is flat across it's face.

The biggest thing I found is that you touch it, check it. touch it, check it. I'm not saying they're perfectly square or even, but they do cut quite well. I usually cool them in water as I don't like having a slime of oil on the bit when I'm trying to see what I'm doing. I also make it a point to not get them too hot.
I do the cutting edge first, then create the bevel, then grind the heel. Keeping the bevel square to the edge is the hardest part.
It's just trial and error until I get it... but I'm at the point where I usually get them pretty good fairly quick now.

I will say that I don't often sharpen small bits under 1/4", but those usually break on me anyway.... as I only ever buy the cheap sets. Bigger bits are easier to sharpen.

Again, as I said, I have nothing against the drill doctor. I never tried one, but I've never felt the need to either...

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)