AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is JD 7000 corn planter good enough ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bernie nw ON
Posted 4/29/2009 21:38 (#697611 - in reply to #697519)
Subject: RE: thats a bunch of corn for your neck of the woods

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Great White North
Have you grown corn before or is this a new crop for you? Some of my hybrid experience;

26-79 - grown it 4 years, majority of my acres again this year, solid performer.
Also grew two bags each of 27-32 and 27-44 last year, growing more of both again this year but more weather risk (even for silage) because CHU around 2200, but had better yield last year than 26-79.
Grew 2230 Pickseed two years ago, not impressed, short and small cobs, not a good silage variety, good luck with it, probably better for grain.
Grew Pioneer 39B90 last year, great yield but had me on edge because it needed to the end of September without frost to make it for silage, got lucky and yielded close to 20/t acre on a couple fields. Will try it again this year, along with the P7535R which I'm told is 2250 CHU.

Every year I am thankful that our corn makes it to silage, but it is stressful through September praying for no frost. I did a few calculations last year and figured some of my corn would have went about 150 bu/ac if it could have gone to October 5 or so without frost, but by then it was all chopped up.

Good luck, hope you dry out soon and get the seed in the ground.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)