AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What were the first no-til drills and planters?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JFDairy
Posted 4/26/2009 14:15 (#693469 - in reply to #693297)
Subject: RE: What were the first no-til drills and planters?

middle TN
I still use an old AC no-till planter, but there is an older one here I rob parts off of. My dad bought a new planter with, I think, #76 units in about 1972(before my time), the planter I run now is the same with the exception of having fiberglass boxes instead of molded plastic. It will do fine if you GO SLOW. 2-1/2-3 mph tops and you will get a stand. I replaced the DblDisc openers a few years ago, that helped prevent plugging seed tubes in wetter soil. The wide fluted coulters on the front will make a ditch if you get in hurry or set them too deep, just take your time and it works OK. Most in this part of the world have moved on to more up-to-date machines, but I usually only plant 30 or so acres(if that much) for silage, and cannot justify a newer planter. Sometimes I have to hang a few suitcase weights on the brackets where the fertilizer boxes used to be to get it into the ground. Parts availability is somewhat of a problem, as there isn't a dealer within 100 miles that stocks any parts for these planters. When I run out of spares on the fence row machine, I guess I will update:)
Jared

Edited by JFDairy 4/26/2009 14:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)