AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on old machinery (from below)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John EIA
Posted 4/24/2009 22:01 (#691928)
Subject: Thoughts on old machinery (from below)

Seeing the question on the wagon hoist below made me realize even more that I am getting old. 68 years. Didn't really think that until recently. With the death of my parents my wife and I became the old people.

We had a John Deere elevator with an arch for the wagon hoist. It did not have the cradle, instead we wraped a chain around the front axle on each side. A lot of this was before I was actively working, did a lot of "helping" really watching. Our speed jack was originally set up for a belt pulley but we mounted a three HP electric motor on it.

We also had a hoist in our corn crib that had a drive over cradle. It worked pretty good for the size of wagons we had at the time. The first year that corn crib elevator had to be powered by a tractor with a belt pulley because in late 1944 electric motors were hard to come by.

On another subject I found the sales slip for when my Dad and our neighbor purchased a new 1947 New Holland model 76 hay baler. They purchased it in December of 1947 for the sum of $2509.72. Sales tax was 2% at the time. That thing was a monstrosity compared to later models. I also have the parts list and prices for it. It appears that few parts were over $50, a new knotter assembly was $68.75. I remember all kinds of knotter parts laying around, especially bill hooks.

How are we going to have our younger counterparts aware of what we used in the 40's and 50's?

John EIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)