AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need info on JD 1850/1900 air drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

trippjn
Posted 4/20/2009 22:47 (#687585 - in reply to #687391)
Subject: RE: Need info on JD 1850/1900 air drill

North Central Oklahoma
You either are getting a good deal or an okay deal. What does he mean by replacing all of the bearings? If he means just the closing wheel bearings but left the John Deere's on, he hasn't fixed anything. The original John Deere closing wheel bearings are an everyday battle. We bought some of Needham's closing wheels just so we wouldn't have to work on them everyday. Have not replaced any of those yet and don't anticipate it. Don't get suckered into buying that after market plastic seal called The Sealer. We did. They are a rip off piece of junk. They don't seem to help and cost a lot. Money would be better spent on new wheels and bearings.

We also bought Needham's press wheels. They do a great job. Better than factory. With buying these two sets of wheels, it also meant we now only have one kind of bearing for the closing, press and gauge wheels. It is a very durable bearing that in John Deere's application takes a lot of down pressure.

Check to see how the three holes for the boots are. If the middle hole is egged out, which most are, it can be fixed easily with a piece of tubing. It will just take some time. Most people will look and think it is to hard and long of a job to fix. I thought it was easier than changing blades. The hole is critical for proper boot and seed placement.

Check for side to side play on the gauge wheels. This indicates if your opener blade bearing is tight. If these are the bearings he replaced then this drill is probably a real bargain. Would be a very labor intensive job to replace and pack all of the bearings. Knock on wood have not had to replace any of these yet.

Check the primary hoses for holes. We seem to fight new holes quite often. Watch closely while you are planting. If you turn at your head land and see seed or fertilizer on the frame then you have a hole or other leak some where.

Look at the wings for cracks. Some 1850's had troubles with the wings cracking. Ours had brand new wings on it when we bought it. The owner before us spent a lot of money for that little project.

I have no experience with the 1900 cart. Ours is a 787 so I can't really help you there.

I guess if it is in good shape, but just needs all of the high wear parts replaced on it, I would do it. You could build it like you want it and have something that would perform better than new. Kind of like redoing and 2000 houred combine but using parts that help it perform better than new. If I was to do it over that is how I would prefer it. Like the previous reply, it is probably a better design than a 1860 which was designed to replace the 1850.

I think you will find you like the job it does a lot better than your Great plains. I originally wanted a Great Plains when we bought ours. I am now glad it didn't work out that way.

Good luck and hope I helped.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)