AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Size and Combine Size
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 4/14/2009 13:30 (#680099 - in reply to #679958)
Subject: RE: Planter Size and Combine Size

Thumb of Michigan
Kind of a sort of loaded question. Just what you wanted to hear, right?

On the front end, I guess for me I'd want to know how the farm was drained, what tillage practices were being employed, and of course manpower available. The manpower thing is probabley the biggie. Example: When we went all no-till, that freed up a person in the spring. Because of the manpower available, we were able to run maybe a smaller planter ( some years 2 acres per row) compared to what might be considered adequete. Being able to have someone there to tend the planter, move trucks, get parts, etc makes an awful lot of difference. I had an old buddy who worked on a train for most of his life. He always said that you could go an awful long ways at 20 mph- if you didn't have to stop.

Drainage (either natural or artificial) makes such a difference, that'd be a close # 2 as to what I'd consider planting with.

On the other end, just all depends. We have a combine that'll pretty easily harvest close to 15,000 bu per day. That would be in a big day. Our dryer will do 10K in 24 hours taking 5 points out. We have a much larger combine for corn than we can justify. Soys and small grain is a different matter. Distance from the unloading auger to the pit makes a pretty big difference as well. Pretty hard to keep a combine busy that'll do 1000 bu per hr when you're using a 350 bu gravity wagon that you have to drag 10 miles to dump.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)