AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Size and Combine Size
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 4/14/2009 13:20 (#680091 - in reply to #679958)
Subject: RE: Planter Size and Combine Size

Macon, IL
I could plant about 60-65 acres a day with my 6 row in an average field. Neighbors tell me that with 12 row this year I can get about 100. Center fill would obviously help that a lot. Probably depends more on field size, etc, When I was estimating planters I wanted something to plant all my corn in a 5 day window-but I work a regular job. If full time farming I would shoot for something that would get your crop planted in < 10 days at most. At least that is "here" in our planting windows.

Combines are a little tougher. Put a 6-row head on a Deere 6600 and you may get 30 acres a day in 180bu corn if nothing breaks. Put that same head on a 9550 and whole other ballgame. When figuring combine capacity lots of other factors-do you have enough hauling to keep combine moving? Do you have a graincart and guys to run both?

Also does corn in your area grow 120bpa or 220bpa?

Budget comment from other poster was in jest but he has a point. You can get an 8-row machine for $15,000, or for $150,000. Breakdowns and speed through the field are going to be vastly different. Maybe post some options or ballpark figures and I am sure there are some here with those machines in similar conditions that could help you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)